Monday, June 7, 2010

When someone dies.

Yesterday I spent my day with friends. I felt great. Amazing. On my way home I looked out the window to the midnight purple sky and thought "How nice." I felt the pressure of school lift away and the carelessness of summer flood into me. And I smiled.
I was lying under the covers of my bed. My smile stitched upon my face. Then my phone lit up my pitch dark room. I rolled over and reached for my phone. Still horizontal on my bed I opened the message. I saw it was a forward, but decieded to read it any ways. I quickly sat up half way through the message. My smile unstitched. All I could utter was "Fuck."
I began to question the message. It couldn't be true. I quickly began to message the only person I would believe the news from. She confirmed my fears. He's dead. He drowned.
I defiantly began to forward the message. I paused briefly before pressing send, thinking "if I don't send it, it won't be true." But it was. It is. So I pressed send.
I cried openly. Not holding back a single tear, knowing in time, in public, I would have to be strong. Strong and tearless. And once again, as times before, I asked myself: What do I do now? Everything. Nothing. Anything. I'm not so sure anymore.
I've learned many lessons through out my life, though it's not very long. One thing I haven't learned yet is; What do you do when someone dies?

Breathe.
That's the best answer I have so far.
Breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment